How to maintain your (dance)shoes life and beauty.
All our shoes are made from the best leathers, but maintenance is really important to keep the material in good shape. Good maintenance will prolong the life of your dance shoes!
- Storage It is best to store leather shoes in a breathing shoebag, or in a shoebox, in an airy and dry place.
- Cleaning clean the dirt off them gently with a soft brush and if they are wet, dry them off and stuff them with dry newspaper to help absorb any moisture and help them keep their shape while they are drying.
- Polishing For leather shoes you can and should use a colourless cream to polish and protect them. After polishing you should always be sure to remove the excess with a non-abrasive cloth.
- Protection If you have choosen suede, laminated suede or patent leather, please use a special maintenance product that applies to the material of the shoes.
- Shoemaker Always go to a professional shoemaker to have your shoes repaired.
- Common sense Always use a shoehorn to pull on your shoes. Pay attention that you will not kick down the heelcap and be sure that the laces are loose.
- Want to wear them outside? If you want to wear your Tangotación dance shoes outside , that is possible. Please note that the leather soles and suede soles are made for the dancefloor. So, if you want to wear them ouside, the best thing to do is to have a shoemaker put on special leather or rubber soles. If you have choosen the “cosy” soles ( rough suede) it might not be possible to replace those with leather or rubber soles.
- Wet shoes In the rare case of wet dancing shoes: Never try to dry your shoes with a heat source or in a non-breathing area. the leather will get hard and it could cause cracksz. Leather is a “living” material and must be able to breathe. Dry your shoes in open air, stuffed with a dry newspaper or toilet paper to help to absorb any moisture. Replace the paper every now and than.
Maintenance of smooth leather shoes
Our shoes are made with the finest leathers. Leather is a natural and living material and requests special care. Always use a good impregnate-spray or shoecream to maintain your shoes. Please make sure your shoes are clean and dry before you apply any maintenace product! First you clean the top, than the sides and than the sole with a soft brush. If your shoes are really dirty you can rince them with luke-warm water and let them dry. Please remove the shoelaces before treatment, that way it is easier to apply the spray or shoecream. To keep the leather in good shape you can use a shoecream. Preferably not to creasy. After polishing you should always be sure to remove the excess with a non-abrasive cloth. Please note: The excessice use of shoecream will lock up the leather and when the leather is enable to breath it will dry out and crack.
Maintenance of nubuck leather shoes
Nubuck is made with smooth leather from which the toplayer is sanded. It is best to maintain your nubuck shoes by using a spray that is suitable for nubuck leather. You can remove stains with a special nubuckblock. To remain the colour you can use a special dab.
Maintenance suede shoes (and suede shoes with a patent decoration)
Please spray the shoes right after buying them with a spray that is specially made to protect the suede. This will protect your suede shoes from getting dirty or wet. You should use the spray regularly. You can use a special suede brush to clean the shoes and to remain the colour you can use a special dab for suede.
Maintenance patent leather shoes
It is important that patent leather are kept creasy, otherwise the patent leather will crack. You can use a special patent-oil. Do not use salad oilt or anything like that, these oils are to salty and that will make white stains on the shoes and the patent can dry-out and crack. You can repair small damages with nailpolish.
Maintenance leather shoes with a printed design.
The print on the leather has been made with a special printingtechnique. This print is superficial, and that makes maintenance with a colourless shoecream essential. clean with a lightly moist cloth and allow to dry before adding shoecream.